Friday, March 16, 2012

'I'm still shallow': Giuliana Rancic says cancer battle hasn't changed her

She underwent the ordeal of a double mastectomy before valiantly returning to work.
But E! News host Giuliana Rancic says her cancer battle has not changed her as a person.
In a interview with this month's U.S. Glamour, the 37-year-old revealed her love of fashion and celebrity gossip is still what makes her tick.
Opening up: Giuliana Rancic, posing with husband Bill, spoke to the U.S. edition of Glamour about her cancer battle, saying it hasn't changed her as a person
Opening up: Giuliana Rancic, posing with husband Bill, spoke to the U.S. edition of Glamour about her cancer battle, saying it hasn't changed her as a person
However, she adds she is grateful for her celebrity platform, which enables he to spread awareness about her illness.
Giuliana returned to her presenting duties two weeks after her operation - and says she was keen to get back to normal life.
During the worst part of her illness, Giuliana said she thought she may lose the passion for her job, that her perspective on life might change.
'I'll be totally honest. While I was recovering, I was thinking, I'm really going to be asking people what they're wearing? I didn't know if I could find the joy in it again. But it didn't take long.'
Support: Giuliana with Bill back in December around the time she went back to work following surgery
Support: Giuliana with Bill back in December around the time she went back to work following surgery
Recalling her first day back at the studio, she said: 'It was like, "Hey, guys, cut the bulls***". I'm the exact same person I was before.
'I'm still shallow, I still love clothes, I still want to talk fashion, I still want to gossip, so lay it on me. They were like, "Thank God."'
Despite her brave face in the wake of her surgery, Giuliana - who is also a panellist on Fashion Police - admitted she struggled to look at herself in the mirror.
Talking about her self-image, she said: 'At first I didn’t want to look in the mirror, because I felt like, I’m getting better every day and this is about my health, so I shouldn’t get bogged down by what I see in the mirror. 
'I knew I wasn’t going to look like a bikini model, so why look? Why even put the image in my head?'
Back to work: Seen here presenting E! News on her return to work after her operation
Back to work: Seen here presenting E! News on her return to work after her operation
Her husband Bill, 40, also opened up about how he coped with his wife's illness, revealing he felt helpless at times.
He said: 'As a husband and as a man, you wish you could trade places with your wife, but you can't, and it sucks. I of course had my moments.'
Bill went on: 'But you know, you've got to be strong; I would never break down in front of her. I wasn't curled up in a fetal position in the shower, but there were moments when it was like, "It's not fair. Why does she have to go through this?" There was anger.'
Giuliana now says she is grateful to have the platform she does to talk about breast cancer and spread awareness.
In it together: Seen here in hospital while she was being treated for breast cancer
In it together: Seen here in hospital while she was being treated for breast cancer
She said: 'We’ve been given this incredible platform, and we think it was for a reason. I truly believe that. When I got my job at E!, I was the thirty-ninth person who auditioned. 
'I wasn’t the prettiest, I wasn’t the smartest, I wasn’t the most talented. And I always wondered why I got the job. Now I think God knew I wouldn’t be a selfish little cow with this platform, and I’d actually try to do something good with it.'


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2115969/Giuliana-Rancic-says-cancer-battle-changed-her.html#ixzz1pInAJWXW