Thursday, August 29, 2013

Has your phone taken over your life? Depressingly accurate short film shows how we miss out on real experiences by recording every moment

These days you can't go anywhere or do anything without someone recording the moment on their smartphone, a tendency one woman has addressed in a new short film.
In I Forgot My Phone, director and star Charlene deGuzman is shown doing activities like hiking at sunrise, celebrating a birthday and lying in bed with a man - all of which are disrupted by someone's incessant phone use.
She writes on her Tumblr that society's obsession with using phones 'makes me sad. I'm constantly working on living in the moment, enjoying and taking it all in (without Instagramming [it]- GASP!)'
Scroll down for video
I Forgot My Phone
Modern life: In I Forgot My Phone, Charlene deGuzman is shown doing activities like celebrating a birthday and lying in bed with a man - all of which are disrupted by someone's incessant phone use
I Forgot My Phone Depressing: The star and director writes that society's obsession with using phones 'makes me sad. I'm constantly working on living in the moment, enjoying and taking it all in (without Instagramming them - GASP!)'
In the beginning of the film, the Filipina-American actress and filmmaker appears sad as she lies in bed with a man, who looks distractedly at his phone.
In the next scene, her hike in the picturesque mountains is disrupted by a fellow hiker, who gabs loudly on his phone while she tries to take in the sunrise.

 

Ms deGuzman wrote on her blog that she was inspired to make the video after going to a concert where everyone in the audience spent the whole time taking photos and videos on their smartphones, rather than enjoying the real-life experience.
'The people in front of me had their phones up in the air the entire time,' she writes. 'Filming, taking pictures, posting them to Facebook and Instagram, tweeting about how cool this concert was.'
I Forgot My Phone
Real experiences: 'It's not until very recently that I've discovered the joy in being in the moment,' writes the actress on her Tumblr
I Forgot My Phone
Distracting: The filmmaker was inspired to make the video after going to a concert where the audience spent the whole time taking photos and videos on their smartphones, rather than enjoying the real-life experience

She says their incessant phone use was especially distracting because of her diminutive stature.
'The glaring screens were right in front of my face, because I'm five-foot-two, the perfect height for things to be right in front of my face.'
In another pertinent scene from the film, a man gets down on one knee on a beautiful beach to propose to his girlfriend.
Instead of appreciating the life changing moment, the couple both hold out their phones at arm's length to record their engagement.
I Forgot My Phone
I Forgot My Phone
Ruining the romance: In another pertinent scene from the film, a man gets down on one knee on a beautiful beach to propose to his girlfriend

I Forgot My Phone
Technology invasion: Instead of appreciating the life-changing moment, the couple both hold out their phones at arm's length to digitally record their engagement

Ms deGuzman is then seen giving them a bemused look as she passes by along the stretch of beach.
Another poignant part shows a young girl sitting still on a playground swing, typing away on her smartphone while Ms deGuzman swings into the air in the background.
'It's not until very recently that I've discovered the joy in being in the moment,' writes the actress on her Tumblr.
'Listening to people, looking at faces, expressions, details, looking at the colors of things, smelling smells, tasting food. And it’s not until now that I've realized that everyone - including me - is on their phones. A lot.'
I Forgot My Phone
Lost childhood: Another poignant part shows a young girl sitting still on a playground swing, typing away on her smartphone while Ms deGuzman swings into the air in the background

I Forgot My Phone
Appreciate the moment: To rectify the issue, she invites her readers to take a break from their phones, 'Even for an HOUR. Because there is a moment happening right in front of you. . .and you're missing it'
To rectify the issue, she invites her readers to take a break from their phones, 'Even for an HOUR. Because there is a moment happening right in front of you, right this second, and you're missing it.'
It's not the first time the blogger has sounded off on what she calls her 'biggest pet-peeve'.
Two years ago, she wrote a post entitled Concert Etiquette: Four Reasons Why You Should Put Away Your Camera.
In it, she says; 'YOU'RE THERE! You are THERE. You were up in the morning three months ago for the presale, you spent $10 on parking. . . take in the performance. Let it record into your memory.'


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2404880/Charlene-deGuzmans-short-film-I-Forgot-My-Phone-shows-miss-real-experiences.html#ixzz2dNZbftFz 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook