Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Woman who had no idea she was pregnant gives birth at GP surgery after going to appointment for stomach ache

  • Clare Evans, 24, was complaining of abdominal pains and called her GP
  • She was advised to visit the surgery as she might have a kidney infection
  • When she arrived she was asked for a urine sample and went to the toilet
  • Her waters broke and it was discovered she was pregnant
  • Doctor who examined her could see a head and she was 9cm dilated
  • Gave birth in the treatment room in half an hour, with no pain relief



  • A woman who went to her GP for a suspected kidney infection ended up giving birth in the treatment room - and says she had no idea she was pregnant. 
    Clare Evans, 24, from Newport, South Wales, visited an out-of-hours surgery complaining of pains in her abdomen.
    Doctors had advised her over the phone that she might have a kidney infection, but when she arrived at the surgery her waters broke.
    Scroll down for video 
    Clare Evans, 24, had no idea she was pregnant and went to her doctors complaining of abdominal pain
    Clare Evans, 24, had no idea she was pregnant and went to her doctors complaining of abdominal pain
    When she arrived at the GP practice, Ms Evans' waters broke and she gave birth to baby Erin Louise Roberts, weighing 6lbs 12oz, in the treatment room at the surgery
    When she arrived at the GP practice, Ms Evans' waters broke and she gave birth to baby Erin Louise Roberts, weighing 6lbs 12oz, in the treatment room at the surgery
    That afternoon she gave birth to baby Erin Louise Roberts, weighing 6lbs 12oz, in the treatment room at the surgery. 
    Ms Evans said: 'They told me on the phone that they suspected I had a kidney infection, so advised me to come in later that day.
    'When I got to the surgery I was in quite a lot of pain and because they thought it was an infection, asked me to give a urine sample.
    'But when I went to the toilet my waters broke.'
    'I love motherhood, even though it was completely unexpected I wouldn't change it for the world' she says of the shock pregnancy
    'I love motherhood, even though it was completely unexpected I wouldn't change it for the world' she says of the shock pregnancy
    Ms Evans was rushed into the treatment room at the surgery/
    After being examined by a doctor she was told staff could see a head and that she was nine centimetres dilated.
    She said: 'I was so shocked - I told them I didn't know I was pregnant.
    'My life changed then and there in a matter of seconds.
    'I had no signs of pregnancy, I didn't have any morning sickness and I didn't have a bump.
    'The first sign was the pain I experienced that morning.'
    Although the on-call midwife and an ambulance were called, Ms Evans' contractions were so close together she was unable to go in the ambulance.
    Baby Erin had to be delivered at the surgery there and then by the GP, Dr Susan Emerson, her partners and the midwife.
    Ms Evans, who was full term, managed the 30 minute birth with no pain relief.
    Mother and baby were then taken to Newport's Royal Gwent Hospital to be checked over, but they were both healthy and discharged.  
    Ms Evans, a first-time mother, said: 'I love motherhood, even though it was completely unexpected I wouldn't change it for the world.'
     


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2802876/woman-no-idea-pregnant-gives-birth-gp-surgery-going-appointment-stomach-ache.html#ixzz3GuDxHuIX 
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook