Tuesday, January 7, 2014

'I get cravings for milk chocolate-dipped crisps and pretzels': Mischa Barton under the microscope


Mischa's hangover cure: Water, oregano, parsley and cayenne pepper
Mischa's hangover cure: Water, oregano, parsley and cayenne pepper

The OC actress Mischa Barton, 27, answers our health quiz.

Can you run up stairs?

I'll always take the stairs over an escalator. I exercise at least five times a week, and do lots of cycling, yoga, running and light weight training.

Ever dieted?

Dieting is dangerous as it's not great going from one way of eating to another. Consistent healthy eating is better. But if I've been overeating, then I stick to a vegetarian or  pescetarian [seafood] diet.

Any vices?

Chocolate. Although I have learned to stick to the dark stuff, I get regular cravings for chocolate pretzels and milk chocolate-dipped crisps. I also like vegan jelly beans (they're better for you than normal jelly beans).

Ever been depressed?

I've always flirted with depression and can be a dark character. Being an actor seems glamorous but it means going from working all day and  feeling wanted, to having nothing going on for weeks and having no one to take care of you. So it's important to have plans when there's a change in schedule. I'm not a fan of anti- depressants but talking therapy has been very helpful, as has having people around who understand me and, importantly, make me laugh.

 

Had anything removed?

My wisdom teeth when I was 23 - and it was absolutely terrible. Mine were wrapped around my jawbone and I don't know if my face has ever quite gone back to how it was.

Worst illness?

I got pretty serious pneumonia on a film set in 2012. I'll normally work when I'm sick, but on this film we were shooting outside by a pool at 3am and it was wet and cold and I got really delirious. 
She likes vegan jelly beans
She likes vegan jelly beans

Take any pills?

I've always had a hard time getting and staying asleep, so use Bonuit Sleep Aid, a herbal remedy containing valerian. I usually end up getting six or seven hours. I also take the probiotic acidophilus to aid digestion, vitamin B12 capsules and sometimes omega-3 fish oil, which helps keep my hair, skin and nails in good condition. I've had a few vitamin B12 shots to boost a flagging body, too.

Alternative medicine?

I love reflexology, meditation, aromatherapy, and acupuncture, which I've had for stress, anxiety, back pain and sports injuries.

Hangover cure?

I concoct my own spicy mixture to sip, with water, oregano, parsley and cayenne pepper. It's hydrating, full of nutrients and seems to work.

Biggest phobia?

Getting terminally ill, and needles.

Consider plastic surgery?

No. I just don't like the idea of it.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2534826/I-cravings-milk-chocolate-dipped-crisps-pretzels-Mischa-Barton-microscope.html#ixzz2plwmlQqI 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook