Wednesday, February 19, 2014

We're proud of our naked reconstructed bodies: Women who underwent pre-emptive double mastectomies like Angelina Jolie pose for calendar

  • Women had higher than 80% risk of developing breast or ovarian cancer
  • This is due to faulty gene they carry 
  • All posed for BRCA Babes calendar to raise funds



  • These women all have one thing in common - a higher than 80 per cent risk of developing breast or ovarian cancer due to the faulty gene they carry.
    Like Angelina Jolie, they all made the difficult decision to have pre-emptive double mastectomies - and now the self-styled ‘BRCA Babes’ have posed for a calendar to show the world how proud they are of their reconstructed bodies, and raise funds for the National Hereditary Breast Cancer Helpline, founded in 1996 by Wendy Watson, the first person to have ever had a preventative mastectomy. 
    Here are their inspiring stories..
    Helen Smith, 49, a learning support assistant for special needs children, lives in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, with husband Martin, 54, a sales director, and their children, Michael, 28, Carly, 27, Lauren, 25, and Skye, 12. She learned she was BRCA positive seven years ago.
    Helen Smith, 49, found out she had the BRCA1 gene after her mum and sister tested positive in 2007
    Helen Smith, 49, found out she had the BRCA1 gene after her mum and sister tested positive in 2007

    There was a history of cancer in Helen's wider family and she was checked as a matter of routine
    There was a history of cancer in Helen's wider family and she was checked as a matter of routine

    I wanted to take part in the calendar to prove to other women that while it might seem like your world is falling in when you discover you are BRCA positive, you can still have a good outcome.
    I found out I had the BRCA1 gene after my mum and sister tested positive in 2007. There was a history of cancer in the wider family and they were checked as a matter of routine.
     

    Twice, I chickened out from having the test. I was so terrified I decided I’d rather not know, until a doctor told me I was playing Russian roulette with my health.
    'I love my body even more now than I did when I was younger, and crucially, I no longer have to fear it,' says Helen
    'I love my body even more now than I did when I was younger, and crucially, I no longer have to fear it,' says Helen

    When I got the result I was devastated. I was 42, and felt that with an 85 per cent chance, I was just waiting to get cancer. 
    But I desperately didn’t want a mastectomy.
    My husband was hesitant at first too – he wondered what my breasts would look like afterwards. 
    But deep down I knew it was more important for me to stay alive for my children. They’ve not yet been tested, and I hope that in the next few years medical developments will spare them the terrible decision I had to make.
    The next 15 months while I procrastinated about having the operation were a living hell. I couldn’t sleep, often waking in the middle of the night wishing there was a pill to save my life, instead of having to go through such traumatic surgery. I was worried I was going to die - yet couldn’t take action until I found a surgeon I could really trust.
    Wendy Watson was a great support, and it was through her that I eventually met my surgeon, Professor Andrew Baildam in Manchester.
    I was so nervous I travelled to see him 15 or 16 times in the run-up to my operation in November 2009, but it was worth it for the beautiful job he did. I went from a DD to a GG cup, which was dramatic, but the implants he used looked very natural.
    When I woke up from the op it was like a weight had been lifted from me. And when I looked at my boobs in the bath, apart from the bruising you would not know I’d had an op. 
    I loved doing the shoot, and the photos have gone down very well with my family. 
    Martin in particular is really happy with my new boobs. As for me? I love my body even more now than I did when I was younger, and crucially, I no longer have to fear it.  
    Becky Measures, 32, a radio presenter from Chesterfield, lives with Alex, 27, a salesman, and their daughter, Eva-May, five months. She is Wendy Watson’s daughter and, in 2006, became the youngest woman in the UK to have a pre-emptive double mastectomy at 24. 
    Beck Measures, 32, insisted to doctors that as nine out of 12 family members on her mother's side had had breast or ovarian cancer, there must be a link
    Beck Measures, 32, insisted to doctors that as nine out of 12 family members on her mother's side had had breast or ovarian cancer, there must be a link

    'It was never scary for me: it was simply a case of "Mummy is having this operation so she can be with you for a very long time"', says Becky
    'It was never scary for me: it was simply a case of "Mummy is having this operation so she can be with you for a very long time"', says Becky

    I was only 10 when mum had her double mastectomy, so I was aware from a very early age of our family history.
    'I was so relieved to be offered a reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy,' Becky says
    'I was so relieved to be offered a reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy,' Becky says

    Even though testing didn’t exist then, mum insisted to doctors that as nine out of 12 family members on her mother’s side had had breast or ovarian cancer, there must be a link.
    They were sceptical but she wanted complete peace of mind and battled to persuade surgeons to do the surgery. They were reluctant, given that she had not been diagnosed with cancer, and some family and friends also felt it was an over-reaction.
    But it was never scary for me: it was simply a case of ‘Mummy is having this operation so she can be with you for a very long time’. 
    I didn’t think it would be anything I would have to deal with until I was in my 30s.
    But then we had the awful news that my cousin Helen had developed cancer at 29. 
    I was only 22, but decided to have my own genetic test done – the BRCA genes were identified in 1994 - and in January 2004 learned I was positive for BRCA1.
    Because mum had been through it, having a double mastectomy seemed the most logical step.
    My biggest fears were whether there would be a lot of pain after the operation and how I would look afterwards.
    I was so relieved to be offered a reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy. 
    Mum never had this – she felt she couldn’t demand one when she was already fighting for the mastectomy – but while living without breasts may suit her, I was young and still wanted to feel sexy and womanly.  
    My surgeon was very reassuring and I took up his offer to build me slightly bigger breasts - I went from a 36B to a 36D. I opted to keep my nipples, even though there is a very slight risk of cancer developing in them.
    I have thought about having my ovaries removed. They feel like a ticking time bomb, and I am checked every six months. But I am waiting because I would like to have another baby.  
    Of course I worry about my daughter, and whether she’ll have to go through this too. Eva-May will be offered the test when she is older, and we’ll support her whatever decisions she makes.
    I took part in the calendar because I wanted to support mum, and highlight the amazing work she does, but I also wanted to show that having a double mastectomy doesn’t have to stop you feeling like a woman.
    Rachel White, 41, a seamstress, lives with her husband John, 54, a machine operator, son Zak, 17, and daughter Zoe, 15, in Blackburn, Lancashire. She discovered she had the BRCA1 gene in 2009.
    Rachel White, 41, struggled at first with losing her breasts so young and worried how it might affect her marriage.
    Rachel White, 41, struggled at first with losing her breasts so young and worried how it might affect her marriage.

    'Choosing to have my breasts removed was the most difficult decision I have ever made, but after two years of being monitored, I knew I had to have it done for my children's sake,' Rachel said
    'Choosing to have my breasts removed was the most difficult decision I have ever made, but after two years of being monitored, I knew I had to have it done for my children's sake,' Rachel said

    The calendar shoot closed the door on a traumatic few years in my life. I’m one of eight family members who discovered at the same time we had the faulty gene passed down from my maternal grandmother. 
    'These photos have really helped me accept this period of my life and feel empowered about having been pro-active' Rachel says
    'These photos have really helped me accept this period of my life and feel empowered about having been pro-active' Rachel says

    While my grandmother died of ovarian cancer in 2000, it was my sister Heather and first cousin Rowena both developing breast cancer in 2009 that prompted us to get tested. 
    We found out that my mother, her sister Pat, Pat’s three daughters, my uncle and Heather and myself were all carriers.
    It meant we each had an 85 per cent risk of developing cancer and it felt like a curse, as if the family was drowning in cancer.  
    We all dealt with the news differently. My mother actually did go on to develop ovarian cancer and had a hysterectomy in 2010, but has decided not to have a mastectomy because at 64 she doesn’t want any more operations.
    Heather had her breasts and ovaries removed, and Rowena had chemo as well as a double mastectomy. But while Heather has done well, tragically Rowena died at the age of 30.
    While I wanted my ovaries removed – I knew my family was complete – I struggled with losing my breasts so young and worried how it might affect my marriage.
    I knew about reconstruction, but still feared my husband wouldn’t give me a second glance if he saw me getting ready after a shower, as he normally would. He’s always been very supportive, but I worried he’d be too frightened to look.
    Choosing to have my breasts removed was the most difficult decision I have ever made, but after two years of being monitored, I knew I had to have it done for my children’s sake and over 2011 and 2012 had a double mastectomy and reconstruction.
    I was really pleased with the results – I’ve remained a B cup – but my confidence has still suffered a knock as I’ve been suffering with the symptoms of early menopause - such as hot flushes and mood swings – because of having my ovaries removed. 
    I was really nervous about taking part in the calendar, but I was determined to do it in memory of Rowena. 
    These photos have really helped me accept this period of my life and feel empowered about having been pro-active. And I thought my shot was beautiful - it’s made me realise I can still look good to other people. My husband loves it too. There’s no chance of him looking away when I’m getting undressed now.
    Fulltime-mum Carly Perkins, 29, from Crawley lives with her fiancé Damian, a bar manager. She learned she carried a faulty gene last year, nine months after giving birth to daughter Tilly, now two.
    Carly Perkins, 29, was diagnosed with the BRCA1 gene two days after her 28th birthday
    Carly Perkins, 29, was diagnosed with the BRCA1 gene two days after her 28th birthday

    Carly loves that her photo actually shows one of her mastectomy scars beneath her left breast
    Carly loves that her photo actually shows one of her mastectomy scars beneath her left breast

    What I love best about my photograph is that it actually shows one of my mastectomy scars beneath my left breast. It’s my battle scar, and I don’t want to hide it.
    'Because everything happened so fast, I'm only just coming to terms with all the implications. Like the fact my daughter will have to be tested, and may also need to undergo the same operation,' says Carly
    'Because everything happened so fast, I'm only just coming to terms with all the implications. Like the fact my daughter will have to be tested, and may also need to undergo the same operation,' says Carly

    But I haven’t always felt this accepting about my body, or about having the BRCA1 gene.
    I was diagnosed positive two days after my 28th birthday.
    My brother, sister and I were all tested after my mum – who’d had breast cancer 12 years ago - and my aunt – who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer three years ago – found they were positive.
    In fact, the day she got the positive result my mum found another lump in her breast, which proved to be second-time cancer.
    Nine months before I’d experienced the joy of becoming a mum and now I had devastating, life changing news to take in. Mum was going through her own double mastectomy, and my aunt was tragically dying from her ovarian cancer.
    As soon as I found out I was carrying the BRCA1 gene, it was a case of when I would have the op, not if. I had to do it to maximise my chances of being around for my daughter.  
    The operation on March 26 this year wasn’t an immediate success. It reduced me from a DD cup to a small D cup, and I’ll need further surgery to rectify problems with a chest muscle that causes my implants to move, and also change the shape of my implants so that I’m restored to my old size.
    But what affected me more were the emotional repercussions.
    Because everything happened so fast, I’m only just coming to terms with all the implications. Like the fact my daughter will have to be tested, and may also need to undergo the same operation.   
    And because the BRCA1 gene puts me at increased risk of ovarian cancer I will probably get my ovaries removed when I am in my late 30s.
    The thought of the photo shoot did make me nervous but I really love my picture: when I saw it, I could hardly believe it was me, I look so glamorous. And I’m delighted Damian loves the picture too – he is very proud of me for taking part and thinks I look stunning. 
    Teaching assistant Rachael Staff, 40, from Cornwall, lives with her husband Richard, 48, a surveyor, and their sons Connor, 13, and Max, 10. She found she had the BRCA1 gene nearly three years ago.
    Rachael Staff says she feels lucky she discovered she had an 85 per cent risk of getting cancer
    Rachael Staff says she feels lucky she discovered she had an 85 per cent risk of getting cancer

    As well as a double mastectomy, Rachel chose to have her nipples removed, as there's a risk of developing cancer in the milk ducts
    As well as a double mastectomy, Rachel chose to have her nipples removed, as there's a risk of developing cancer in the milk ducts

    Before the shoot I felt really scared and self-conscious. I am not the sort of woman who would ever go topless on a beach, let alone pose for such intimate photos. 
    'This shoot has been a real confidence boost as it's proved that despite having a double mastectomy -  and no nipples - I can still look sexy,' Rachel says
    'This shoot has been a real confidence boost as it's proved that despite having a double mastectomy - and no nipples - I can still look sexy,' Rachel says

    Additionally, I don’t have any nipples at the moment so don’t feel my breasts are normal.
    But I was determined to give something back to a charity that has really supported me – the helpline is a real lifeline for women like us.
    I actually feel lucky I discovered I had an 85 per cent risk of getting cancer.
    It gave me the opportunity to take control of the situation, something that people who’ve already been diagnosed with the disease don’t have.  
    And it was an easy decision to have a double mastectomy, because I grew up without a mum from the age of eight. While my mum died from a brain haemorrhage, I’d do anything to help spare my sons the same grief.
    I was tested after my older sister developed breast cancer in 2005. We realised we might carry the gene because my paternal grandmother had died in her 40s of ovarian cancer as well as one of my father’s sisters.
    As well as a double mastectomy I chose to have my nipples removed too as there’s a risk of developing cancer in the milk ducts.
    My initial operation included having new implants and while I was happy, especially as I went from a 34B to a 34D, I’ve since had a revision in which my implants were replaced with silicone, as I do a lot of running and found the first ones, which had saline in them, sat too high and were uncomfortable. 
    Now they are much more comfortable and look amazing! 
    I will have my ovaries removed sometime next year, because my family is complete. Although I am worried about going into early menopause, it seems crazy to have one operation and not the other. 
    While I’m delighted with the outcome of my operation, losing your breasts does affect how you feel as a woman.
    This shoot has been a real confidence boost as


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2555439/Were-proud-naked-reconstructed-bodies-Cancer-gene-meant-women-underwent-pre-emptive-mastectomies-like-Angelina-Jolie.html#ixzz2tmjZIE1u 
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook